From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)
Hopkinsville Colored Library (Christian County, KY)
In 1895, there was a colored library club in Hopkinsville, KY. According an article in the Earlington Bee newspaper, New York banker, J. C. Latham, made a handsome donation to the club ["Our colored citizens," 03/28/1895, p.4]. Latham was a native of Hopkinsville. In 1936, the colored library was housed in the Church of the Good Shepherd on Second and Campbell Streets in Hopkinsville. The library had 1,000 volumes. The city commission donated 150 bushels of coal so that the library could remain open during the winter months. The library committee members were Rosa M. Hopson, Ora L. Brewer, and Dolly R. Brown. For more see "Colored library to be helped by city," Kentucky New Era, 10/24/1936, p.6].
Cited in this Entry
Cite This NKAA Entry:
“Hopkinsville Colored Library (Christian County, KY),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed February 18, 2018, https://nkaa.uky.edu/nkaa/items/show/2837.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 01:00:35