Negro Press Association, KentuckyIn June of 1907, a group of African American newspaper men gathered at Calvary Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky, and formed the Negro Press Association for Kentucky. N. W. Magowan, editor of the Reporter in Mt. Sterling, KY, was president; J. E. Wood of the Torch Light in Danville, KY, was vice president; Miss Julia S. Young with the The Kentucky Standard in Louisville was secretary; and E. E. Underwood of the Blue Grass Bugle in Frankfort, was treasurer. There was also an executive board: W. H. Steward, R. T. Berry, and Rev. S. L. M. Francis. A second meeting was held in Mt. Sterling, KY, in August of 1907, and steps were taken to solidify the Negro vote in Kentucky. All Colored newspapers in Kentucky were invited to join the organization. It is not known how long the initial association existed. The Kentucky Negro Press Association was formed in 1915. For more see "State press association," Freeman, 06/29/1907, p.1; "Negro editors," Lexington Leader, 08/17/1907, p.4; "Negro Press Association," Lexington Leader, 08/28/1907; and "Kentucky Negro press association...," Freeman, 09/07/1907, p.4.
* Those who attended the 1907 newspaper meeting:
The Kentucky Standard Miss Julia S. Young
[Searchlight misprint] Torch Light J. E. Wood
The Reporter N. W. and J. D. Magowan, D. D.
The Indicator (Covington) Rev. W. A. Jackson, D. D.
Southern School Journal (Lexington) C. C. Monroe
The Messenger (Henderson) S. L. M. Francis
Source: "Negro Press Association," Lexington Leader, 08/28/1907, p.10.