Lewis County (KY) Slaves, Free Blacks, and Free Mulattoes, 1850-1870Lewis County is located in northeastern Kentucky on the Ohio River and borders five counties. It was developed from a portion of Mason County in 1806, and is named for Merriweather Lewis of the famed Lewis and Clark Expedition. The first county seat was Poplar Flats in 1806, and Vanceburg became the county seat in December of 1863. Vanceburg was named for Joseph C. Vance, a Revolutionary War veteran who was born in Virginia. The 1810 population of Lewis County was 345 [heads of households], according to the U.S. Federal Census, and the population increased to 8,011 by 1860, excluding the slaves. Below are the number of slave owners, slaves, free Blacks, and free Mulattoes for 1850-1870.
1850 Slave Schedule
- 91 slave owners
- 251 Black slaves
- 71 Mulatto Slaves
- 7 free Blacks
- 1 free Mulatto [Robert McDowell]
- 69 slave owners
- 134 Black slaves
- 96 Mulatto Slaves
- 15 free Blacks [10 with the last name Dennis]
- 2 free Mulattoes [Jesse Greenway and Menerva Vincent]
- 205 Blacks
- 30 Mulattoes
- About 13 U.S. Colored Troops listed Lewis County, KY, as their birth location.