CME Publishing House in Kentucky
In 1873, the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church Publishing House moved from Memphis, TN, to 103 Fifth Street in Louisville, KY. The company managers were looking for a more economical location when they came to Louisville and hired Rev. J. W. Bell as the book agent. After nine years, the company moved to Jackson, TN, and H. P. Porter became the book agent. The CME Publishing House was established in 1870 as a publishing body and depository for the church literature. For more see Black Book Publishers in the United States: a historical dictionary of the presses, 1817-1990, by D. F. Joyce; and The History of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church in America, by C. H. Phillips [available online at UNC Documenting the American South].