From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)

Eastern Colored Branch Library, Louisville, KY (Jefferson County)

The Eastern Colored Branch Library opened in Louisville, KY on January 28, 1914; it was the second Carnegie Colored Library built in the U.S.

At that time, Louisville was the only city in the U.S. with two Colored libraries. There was an earlier library referred to as the East End Branch of the Colored Library, established in January of 1907, located in Eastern School. Assistant Librarian, Mrs. E. G. Harris [Rachel Davis Harris], was in charge of the collection.

For more see Library Service to African Americans in Kentucky, by R. F. Jones; and "Confirmation classes held," Freeman, 1/19/1907, p. 1.

Item Relations

Cite This NKAA Entry:

“Eastern Colored Branch Library, Louisville, KY (Jefferson County),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed May 24, 2024, https://nkaa.uky.edu/nkaa/index.php/items/show/763.

Last modified: 2022-01-07 20:33:01