From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)

Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church (Lexington, KY)

The Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church was thought to have established the oldest African American congregation west of the Allegheny Mountains. Its history dates back to 1790 when Rev. Peter Duerett founded the African Baptist Church in Lexington. The name was changed to "Pleasant Green" in 1829. Today the church is located at 540 W. Maxwell Street in Lexington.

For more see the church history website; "A Short history of the Pleasant Green Baptist Church, Lexington" in Golden Jubilee of the General Association of Colored Baptists in Kentucky (1915), pp. 249-252: and Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church, a BlackPast webpage.

Kentucky County & Region

Read about Fayette County, Kentucky in Wikipedia.

Kentucky Place (Town or City)

Read about Lexington, Kentucky in Wikipedia.

Item Relations

Cite This NKAA Entry:

“Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church (Lexington, KY),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed April 19, 2024, https://nkaa.uky.edu/nkaa/index.php/items/show/1202.

Last modified: 2021-10-01 19:36:14