Complete A-Z list

Complete list of sources

Recent Additions / Updates

About NKAA

NKAA Brochure

African American Library Directors in the USA

Links of Interest




staff only

University of Kentucky Libraries

Notable Kentucky African Americans Database

<Benevolent Societies>

Return to search page.

African Cemetery No. 2 (Lexington, KY)
Start Year : 1869
End Year : 1976
The cemetery has been located at 419 E. 7th Street since 1869 when, according to The Kentucky Leader (02/03/1892), the Union Benevolent Society No. 2 formed "to take care of the sick, bury the dead and perform other deeds of charity." The organization purchased four acres in November 1869; the charter from the Legislature permitted the operation of a cemetery in 1870. In 1875 another four acres were purchased. The official name of the cemetery became Benevolent Society No. 2 of Lexington, Kentucky. Well over 6,000 men, women, and children are interred in the cemetery, and 100 have been identified as U.S. Colored Troops of the Civil War. The information in this entry comes from African American Cemetery No. 2, a flier published by African Cemetery No. 2, Inc. (Feb. 2005). Board member Yvonne Giles has been researching the history of the cemetery and completed the publication titled Stilled Voices Yet Speak in 2009. There is also a film about the cemetery titled Eight Acres of History: Lexington's African Cemetery No.2, produced by the Lexington Public Library Cable Channel 20. For more information about the cemetery, Juneteenth celebrations, and other events, see African Cemetery No. 2 or contact the African Cemetery No. 2, Inc., P. O. Box 54874, Lexington, Kentucky 40555. See also S. Lannen, "Reliving Slavery," Lexington Herald Leader, 6/19/05, City&Region section, p.B1; and M. Riegert and A. Turkington, "Setting stone decay in a cultural context: conservation at the African Cemetery No. 2, Lexington, Kentucky, USA," Building and Environment, vol. 38, issues 9-10 (September-October 2003), pp. 1105-1111.



*NOTE: There are five subpages at the African Cemetery No.2 website: A Brief History ; Grave Markers - Names A-Z ; Horsemen Names ; Newsletter ; Veterans.

 

 
Subjects: Businesses, Undertakers, Cemeteries, Coroners, & Obituaries, Benevolent Societies, Movies and Films
Geographic Region: Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky

Berry, Ella
Birth Year : 1884
Death Year : 1939
Ella Berry was born in Stanford, KY, and grew up in Louisville. She was the daughter of Dave Tucker and Mathilda Portman [source: Chicago Death Record, for Ella Berry]. Berry moved to Chicago where she was one of the leading African American women political and social activists. She would become president of the Cornell Charity Club, she had been a member of the organization since 1913. She was a suffragist and became the state organizer of the Hughes Colored Women's Clubs of the National Republican Headquarters in 1919. Illinois Governor Frank O. Lowden appointed her an investigator for the Chicago Commission on Race Relations. She was also president of the Women's Second Ward Protective League, and a federal census enumerator in 1920. Ella Berry was the first African American to be employed by the Chicago Department of Welfare, she was a home visitor. She was elected to the Order of the Eastern Star, and served three terms as president of the Grand Daughter Ruler of the Daughters of the Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, which was the highest office a woman could hold in the organization. Berry used her positions within the various organizations to campaign for African American votes and for women's votes during presidential elections. She traveled between Louisville and Chicago networking and making political connections between the two cities. Ella Berry was the wife of William Berry. For more see the Ella Berry entry and picture in chapter six in The Story of the Illinois Federation of the Colored Women's Clubs by E. L. Davis; For the Freedom of Her Race by L. G. Materson; and photo of Ella Berry [online] in the New York Public Library Digital Gallery.


Subjects: Activists, Civil Rights, Migration North, Politicians, Politics, Appointments & Elections, Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies, Association of Colored Women's Clubs
Geographic Region: Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky / Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky / Chicago, Illinois

Burnside, Carl Meredith
Birth Year : 1898
Death Year : 1967
Professor C. M. Burnside, born in Bryantville, KY, was an educator and active member of the AME Church. He attended Wayman Institute, Lincoln Institute, and graduated from Kentucky State University in 1933. He was a high school teacher and principal in Lancaster and Monticello, KY, and established a standard four-year high school and led in the construction of a new school building. Burnside served on various committees within the KNEA, and is listed as a member of the organization in the Kentucky Negro Educational Association Journal, 1936-1939 [Lancaster], 1940 [Monticello]. He was also president for 15 years of the United Brothers and Sisters of Benevolence, was senior warden within the Masons, and was a member of the United Brothers of Friendship. He was a delegate to the AME General Conference 1940 and 1944. He was the son of Mahalia and Lee Burnside. For more see Prof. C. M. Burnside in in The Encyclopaedia of the African Methodist Episcopal Church compiled by Bishop R. R. Wright.
Subjects: Education and Educators, Fraternal Organizations, Grade Schools & High Schools in Kentucky, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Bryantville, Garrard County, Kentucky / Lancaster, Garrard County, Kentucky / Monticello, Wayne County, Kentucky

Colored Lodges - Bowling Green, KY
Start Year : 1938
The following Colored lodges are listed in the 1937-38 edition of Caron's Bowling Green (Kentucky) City Directory.

Colored lodges that met at 606 College Street:

  • Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World - Spreading Oak Lodge No. 602
  • Masonic - Ancient Land Mark No. 93 F. & A. M.
  • Masonic - St. James Lodge No. 28 F. & A. M.
  • Eastern Star - Star of Venus, Chapter 12. Laura Dawson, Secretary
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows - Bowling Green Lodge No. 1599. F. S. Abel, Secretary
  • Independent Order of Odd Fellows - House of Ruth No. 76. Mattie Brown, Secretary
  • Knights of Pythias - Court of Calanthe No. 12. Mary W. Potter, Secretary
  • Knights of Pythias - Diamond Lodge No. 23. G. T. Douglas, Secretary

Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Bowling Green, Warren County, Kentucky

Colored Lodges - Hopkinsville, KY
Start Year : 1914
End Year : 1916
The names of the Colored lodges below come from Caron's Hopkinsville Directory For the Years 1914-1915-1916.

Colored lodges that met at Friendship Hall, 28 West Second Street:

  • Grand Army of the Republic - Liewellyn Baker Post No. 200
  • Household of Ruth No. 112
  • International Order of Twelve - Rising Star Temple No. 43
  • Knights of Pythias - Court of Calanthe (Ladies' Auxiliary)
  • Knights of Pythias - Pennyroyal Lodge No.20
  • Knights of Pythias - R. N. Lander Company No. 20 (Uniform Rank)
  • Knights of Wise Men - Prelate Chamber No. 1
  • Ladies' Relief Corps - Liewellyn Baker Post 120
  • Masonic - King Lodge No. 41
  • Mystic Tie Lodge No. 1907
  • Order of Eastern Star - Naomi Chapter No. 12
  • Sisters of the Mysterious Ten - Musadora Temple No. 38
  • United Brothers of Friendship - Freedom Lodge No. 75

Colored lodges that met at Good Samaritan Hall on Campbell Street, southwest corner of Second Street:
  • Home Protective Association - Crown Council No. 80. Robert Stegar, secretary
  • Good Samaritan Association. James Allensworth, Jr., manager.

Other Colored lodges:
  • Union Benevolent Society. Henry Guynn, secretary. Met on east side of New Greenville Road, north of city limits.

Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky

Colored Lodges - Owensboro, KY
Start Year : 1889
End Year : 1890
The following information comes from Bennett and Co.'s Owensboro City Directory 1889-90.

Masons met at Hall No. 7 on Frederica Street.

  • Guiding Star Lodge No. 14
  • Verbena Court No. 8 (Colored Ladies)
Independent Order of Odd Fellows met at Hall No. 7 on Frederica Street.
  • Owensboro Lodge No. 1892, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows
United Brothers of Friendship met at Hall No. 501 on West Third Street
  • Charity Lodge No. 5
  • United Brothers of Friendship Lodge No. 7
  • Elizabeth Temple No. 7
  • Woolfolk Camp No. 7
  • St. Martha's Temple No. 8
  • Royale House of Queen Esther No. 15
  • Past Master's Council No. 23
  • Diamond Start Lodge No. 119
Sisters' Temple or The Mysterious Ten met at 501 West Third Street.
  • Love Temple No. 83
Knights of Tabor met at 501 West Third Street.
  • K. of T. Lodge No. 251
Other Lodges that met at Hall No. 614 on West Third Street.
  • Union Benevolent Society No. 2
  • Union Benevolent Society No. 1 (Colored Young People)
  • Union Benevolent Society No. 1 (Colored Sisters)
  • Union Star Brass Band
Other Lodge that met at Hall No. 501 on West Third Street.
  • Owensboro Twilight Brass Band

Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Owensboro, Daviess County, Kentucky

Colored Lodges - Paris, KY
Start Year : 1908
End Year : 1917
There are listings of the Colored Lodges in Paris, KY, in The Inter-State Directory Company's Directory of Paris and Bourbon County Gazetteer For the Year 1908 and W. H. Hoffman's City Directory of Paris, Kentucky, 1917. Below is a combined list of the lodges from both volumes.

Colored Lodges that met at the Grand Army of the Republic Hall:

  • G. A. R. - John Brown Post No. 68

Colored Lodges that met at the United Brothers of Friendship Hall at 308 W. Eighth Street:

  • Bourbon Star Lodge No. 1697, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows
  • Callilee Temple No. 32, SMT [Sisters of the Mysterious Ten]
  • Daughters of Tabor - Rose of Sharon Tabernacle No. 99
  • Garfield Company A, Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias
  • Good Samaritan Lodge No. 37, United Brothers of Friendship
  • Hiram Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M.
  • Household of Ruth Lodge No. 1849, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows
  • Jewell Court No.5, Court of Calathe
  • Lillian Juvenile Temple
  • Order of the Eastern Star - Jeptha Chapter No. 5
  • Phoenix Lodge No. 7, Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World
  • St. Pythias Lodge No. 1, Knights of Pythias

Colored Lodges that met at Marble Hall on South Main Street:

  • John Brown WRC No. 15
  • McKinley Camp No. 4, Sons of Veterans

Other Colored Lodges

  • Fraternal Union of America No. 96. Met at Knights of Pythias Hall at 529 South Main Street. Margaret C. Wood, Secretary.
  • Messiah Commandery No. 3, K. T. (Masons)
  • Zerrubabel Chapter No. 5 RAM (Masons)

*Two of the earliest colored lodges in Paris were Hiram Lodge No.5 Masons, organized in 1867, and Knights Templar, organized in 1867 [source: History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison, and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky by W. H. Perrin & R. Peter, p.119]
Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky

Colored Lodges - Winchester, KY
Start Year : 1908
End Year : 1913
The names of the following Colored lodges come from Inter-State Directory Company's Directory of Winchester and Clark County Gazetteer For the Year 1908 and Caron's Winchester Directory For the years 1911-12-13.

Colored lodges that met at the United Brothers of Friendship Hall at 16 North Highland Street:

  • Gates City Lodge No. 22
  • Good Samaritans - Rose of Sharon Lodge No. 24
  • Good Samaritans - Resolute Lodge No. 10
  • Grand United Order of Odd Fellows - Winchester Diamond Lodge No. 2077
  • Mosac Lodge No. 25, F. & A. M.
  • Sisters of the Mysterious Ten - Electric Temple No. 60
  • United Benevolent Society
  • United Brothers of Friendship - Eureka Lodge No. 60

Colored lodges that met at Odd Fellows Hall at 22 North Highland:
  • Grand United Order of Odd Fellows - Household of Ruth No. 285
  • Grand United Order of Odd Fellows - Juvenile Society No. 101

Other Colored lodges:
  • Benevolent Society No. 1. Met at Main and Broadway
  • Grand Army of the Republic - George Henson Post. Met at different places
  • Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World - Shackleford Lodge No. 66. United Brothers of Friendship club rooms 22 South Maple
  • United Benevolent Hall was located at 5 East Broadway

Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Winchester, Clark County, Kentucky

Colored Union Benevolent Society No.1 and No.2 (Lexington, KY)
Start Year : 1843
According to author Jacqui Malone, the Union Benevolent Society was formed in 1843 by free African Americans in Lexington, KY, to bury the dead, care for the sick, and give support to orphans and widows. The organization received support from whites who permitted a lodge run by slaves in 1852. The organization also secretly participated in the Underground Railroad, assisting in the escape of slaves. The organization was also referred to as the Lexington Colored People's Union Benevolent Society No 1. The Union Benevolent Society, No.2, of Colored People of Lexington, was incorporated in 1870. The organization had existed for a number of years. In 1870, the executive members were James L. Harvey, President; Jordan C. Jackson, Vice President; Henry King, Secretary; and Leonard Fish, Treasurer. For more information on the Colored Union Benevolent Society No.1 see Steppin' on the Blues: the visible rhythms of African American dance, by J. Malone. For more about Benevolent Society No. 2 see chapter 699 of Acts of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Passed, 1869, pp.349-351 [available full view at Google Book Search].
Subjects: Freedom, Orphans and Orphanages in Kentucky, Fraternal Organizations, Underground Railroad: Conductors, Escapes, Organizations, Research, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky

Franklin Colored Benevolent Society No.1 (Franklin, KY)
Start Year : 1874
The Act to incorporate the organization was passed by the Kentucky General Assembly in February 1874, with R. R. Burnley as president; William Butts, vice president; John H. Perdue [or Purdue], secretary; and King Boisseau as treasurer. The organization purpose was "intellectual, moral, and social improvement of its members, and works of benevolence and charity." [John H. Purdue may be the great great grandfather of John J. Johnson. For more see Chapter 486 of the 1874 publication Acts Passed at the...Session of the General Assembly, pp. 543-544 [available at Google Book Search].
Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Grandparents, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Franklin, Simpson County, Kentucky

Improvement Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World
Start Year : 1899
The first African American Elks organization, Improvement Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was founded by Benjamin F. Howard from Covington, KY, and Arthur J. Riggs from Shelbyville, KY. The lodge was located in Covington, having been chartered in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1899. A Kentucky Historical Marker at the site contains a summary of the history. For more see the Kentucky Historical Marker Database [number 1956]; and History of the Improvement Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the world 1898-1954 by C. H. Wesley.
Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Covington, Kenton County, Kentucky / Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky / Cincinnati, Ohio

The Ladies (of color)
Start Year : 1847
The Ladies (of color), in Frankfort, KY, are thought to have been free African American women. In 1847 the group held a fair for "benevolent purposes" at the home of Mrs. Rilla Harris. For more see A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: a history of American women told through food, recipes and..., by L. Schenone, p. 131.
Subjects: Bakers, Cooks and Chefs, Colored Fairs & Black Expos, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Frankfort, Franklin County, Kentucky

Migration to Ethiopia [Fannie B. Eversole, 1865-1951]
Start Year : 1930
End Year : 1935
Beginning in 1930, a number of African Americans and West Indians migrated to Ethiopia in search of the "Promised Land" in the Back to Africa Movement affiliated with Marcus Garvey's Universal Negro Improvement Association. The exact number of persons who left the U.S. was in question, with estimates as high as 100, and as low as 25. The group was led by Arnold Ford, rabbi of Beth B'nai Abraham [Harlem, NY, Black Jews]. The migrating families were promised land, livestock, and a farming life, but the promises were unfulfilled. In 1932, the U.S. State Department issued a release to discourage others from migrating to Ethiopia due to the number of destitute American immigrants, and because there were no government funds for transportation back to the States. By 1934, thirty-five immigrants had returned to the U.S. In 1935, the Italy-Ethiopia War put an absolute end to any further immigration, and all but two of the prior immigrants returned to the U.S. September 1935, U.S. Legation Officials warned that any Americans who remained in Ethiopia did so against the advice of the State Department. Three of the last African Americans to leave were the wife of Baron Jackson and her daughter, Predonia, from Alabama, and Mrs. Fannie B. Eversole. They had all gone to Ethiopia in 1931 as part of the Back to Africa Movement. The American Negro Benevolent Society paid their fare back to the U.S. Seventy year old Fannie Eversole (b.1865 in Paris, KY) arrived in New York Harbor, October 8, 1935, aboard the ship Berengaria, according to the New York Passenger List. Fannie Eversole had been the wife of Man G. Eversole (b.1865 in VA), and according to the 1910 U.S. Federal Census, they had been homesteaders in Glade, Washington. Fannie Eversole was living in Los Angeles, CA before leaving for Ethiopia in 1931. She had been a cook and a housekeeper. Upon her return to the U.S., she made her home at 1621 W. 35th Street in Los Angeles and is listed as retired in the 1940s California Voter Registration Records. According to the California Death Index, Fannie Eversole died in Los Angeles on June 22, 1951. For more see "Legation Officials advise Americans to leave Ethiopia," Florence Morning News, 09/11/1935, pp.1 & 6; ** "Addison E. Southard, U. S. Ambassador to Ethiopia, to U.S. Secretary of State in The Marcus Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers; Africa for the Africans, 1923-1945, Volume X by R. A. Hill; Judaising Movements, by T. Parfitt, et al.; and Black Zion by Y. P. Chireau and N. Deutsch.

**[Addison E. Southard, 1884-1970,  was born in Kentucky.]
Subjects: Migration West, Religion & Church Work, Migration Outside the U.S. and Canada, Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Paris, Bourbon County, Kentuck / Glade, Washington / Los Angeles, California / Ethiopia, Africa

Riggs, Arthur J.
Birth Year : 1855
Death Year : 1936
Arthur J. Riggs was born in Shelbyville, KY, the son of Rachel and Lloyd Riggs. In 1860, the family was free and is listed in the U.S. Federal Census. Arthur Riggs is regarded as one of the founders of Elkdom among African Americans. He took the last name Riggs after being freed from slavery; his family had been owned by Reverend John Tevis, a Carmelite minister. Riggs worked a number of jobs, including a stint at the Galt House in Louisville, KY, and later left for Cincinnati, where he was employed as a waiter at the Grand Hotel. He helped organize the Knights of Pythias Lodge in 1896 and served as Grand Chancellor of the State. Riggs and B. F. [Benjamin Franklin] Howard of Covington, KY, established the Negro Elks Lodge in Cincinnati. Riggs's participation in the Elks cost him his job as a Pullman Porter; he had gained access to the white Elks Ritual, which was used in establishing the Negro Elks Lodge. Riggs was later run out of Cincinnati and settled in Springfield, OH, with his family. He lived under an assumed name. With assistance from lawyer William L. Anderson, Riggs had learned from the Register of Copyright of the Library of Congress that the Ritual had no copyright; therefore, it was redrafted and copyrighted to Riggs in 1898 for the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World. As the organization continued to grow and add form, Riggs received more threats. He left the Elks then for two decades. B. F. Howard took over the management of the organization and moved it to Covington, KY. Riggs died prior to the 37th Grand Lodge meeting in August 1936; his death is mentioned in the April 15, 1936 issue of theSpringfield Daily News. For more see History of the Improved Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the World, 1898-1954, by C. H. Wesley.

See photo image of Arthur J. Riggs at the Elks Photo Gallery website.
Subjects: Migration North, Pullman Porters, Fraternal Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky / Covington, Kenton County, Kentucky / Cincinnati and Springfield, Ohio

Solomon Temple and Daughters of Jerusalem (Trenton, KY)
Start Year : 1900
The Solomon Temple and Daughters of Jerusalem was a secret home benevolent society located in Trenton, KY, and believed to have been established around 1900. There were both male an female African American members. The purpose of the organization was to provide for the sick and the needy and to bury the dead. Little is know about the organization. For more see Constitution and By-Laws of Solomon Temple and Daughters of Jerusalem: Home Lodge Located at Trenton, KY.
Subjects: Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Trenton, Todd County, Kentucky

Union Benevolent Society No.1 (Versailles, KY)
Start Year : 1876
The Union Benevolent Society No.1 in Versailles, KY, had existed for several years before it was approved by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky on March 3, 1876. It was described as a society for Colored persons. The organization provided charity and and mutual relief for its members. The board members were Henry C. Brown, President; Henry Jackson, Vice President; H. P. Mason, Recording Secretary; and Nelson Hicks, Treasurer. The official name of the organization became "The Benevolent Society, No.1, of Versailles, Kentucky." For more see chapter 336 in Acts of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Passed, Regular Session of the General Assembly, December 1875.
Subjects: Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Versailles, Woodford County, Kentucky

United Brothers of Friendship and Sisters of the Mysterious Ten
Start Year : 1861
The United Brothers of Friendship, originally a benevolent order established in 1861 in Louisville, KY, had both freemen and slave members. The organization later became a secret society with more than 60,000 members in various U.S. states, Liberia, Canada, and the West Indies. This membership included females referred to as the Sisters of the Mysterious Ten. For more see History of the United Brothers of Friendship and Sisters of the Mysterious Ten, by W. H. Gibson, Sr. (1897).
Subjects: Fraternal Organizations, Women's Groups and Organizations, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky / Liberia, Africa / Canada / West Indies

Uttingertown-Columbus (Lexington, KY)
Both towns were developed for African Americans after the Civil War. Uttingertown was created in 1869 when Samuel Uttinger divided his land to sell it in lots. In May 2005 the Union Benevolent Society (UBS) Lodge #28, located on Uttingertown Lane, was restored by the UK's Center for Historic Architecture and Preservation with a grant from the Kentucky African American Heritage Commission. Columbus was developed when Clarence H. Crimm divided his land and sold it in lots in 1893. The towns are located off Royster Road in Lexington. For more see Project Completed in Uttingertown, by the University of Kentucky Public Relations; and Historical Communities Near Lexington.
Subjects: Communities, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky

Vertrees, Peter
Birth Year : 1849
Death Year : 1926
Peter Vertrees was born in Edmonson County, KY, his mother Mary E. Skaggs, was white, and his father, Rev. Booker Harding was the mulatto son of Jacob Vertrees. Peter Vertrees was raised by his grandfather Jacob Vertrees and his wife Catherine. Peter Vertrees served with the Confederate Army in the 6th Kentucky Calvary during the Civil War; he was a servant to his uncle, J. L. Vertrees, an enlistee who was white and a physician. Peter Vertrees left Kentucky to live with his uncle Judge J. C. Vertrees in Tennessee. He would become one of the first students to attend Roger Williams University. He would become a teacher and a preacher, and a respected community leader in Sumner County, TN. In 1880, he was a 31 year old widower living in Gallatin, according to the U.S. Federal Census; his wife, Amanda L. Dowell, had died in 1872. He had next married Sarah Head and the couple had three sons. In 1901 he married Diora Wylie (b.1875 in TN), according to their Marriage Bond, and the couple had three children, according to the 1910 U.S. Federal Census. They would later have two more children. Peter Vertrees was principal of the South Gallatin School, and for 60 years he served as pastor of the First Baptist Church. He was actually pastor of more than one church, and was president of two benevolent societies that helped pay for medical assistance and burials. He opened schools for African Americans within the churches where he was pastor. He founded the East Fork Missionary Baptist Association with 28 churches in Tennessee. A historical maker honoring Peter Vertrees was placed at the corner of South Water and Bledsoe Streets in Sumner County, TN. For more see the Negro Baptist History, 1750-1930 by L. G. Jordan; and Peter Vertrees, by Dessislava Yankova at the rootsweb.ancestry.com website.


Subjects: Civic Leaders, Education and Educators, Military & Veterans, Religion & Church Work, Migration South, Benevolent Societies
Geographic Region: Edmonson County, Kentucky / Gallatin, Sumner County, Tennessee

 

Return to the search page.