From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)

Engine Co. #8 (Louisville, KY)

The #8 firehouse was located at 725 S. 13th and Maple Streets in Louisville. The house had been built in 1872 and was used by an all-white fire company until December, 1923, when ten African Americans were hired for Louisville's first African American fire department. In 1937 a second African American firehouse was established at Roseland and Jackson Streets. Roy Stanley was the first African American to ride out of an integrated fire house in Louisville. For more see M. Young, "Exhibit features Black firefighters," The Louisville Defender, 03/12/1992, p. 2.

References

Cited in this Entry

NKAA Source: The Louisville defender (newspaper)

Social Bookmarking

Cite This NKAA Entry:

“Engine Co. #8 (Louisville, KY),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed December 11, 2018, http://nkaa.uky.edu/nkaa/items/show/527.

Last modified: 2017-07-19 17:51:20