From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)

Frankfort Colored Library (Franklin County, KY)

In the late 1930s, the WPA established a colored branch library in Frankfort, KY, according to the June 1944 Bulletin of the Kentucky Library Association, v.9, p.29. The library came about with the assistance of Mrs. Robert M. Fort, a member of the Frankfort Library Board. The library was closed by 1943 when the WPA financial support ended, and Mrs. Fort asked that the colored library be reopened. A building at 306 Mero Street, a three room house, was purchased and leased to the Frankfort Public Library by Mr. J. M. Perkins. There was an agreement between Perkins and the library: as long as the building was used as a library, there would be no charge for the lease. The library was managed by trained African American librarians, two of whom were Alice Simpson and Anna M. Wolfe, the mother of George C. Wolfe. The Frankfort Colored Branch Library closed in 1962. For more see Library Service to African Americans in Kentucky by R. F. Jones; and "With librarians and libraries in Kentucky," Bulletin of the Kentucky Library Association, II, p.13.

Kentucky County & Region

Read about Franklin County, Kentucky in Wikipedia.

Kentucky Place (Town or City)

Read about Frankfort, Kentucky in Wikipedia.

References

Cited in this Entry

NKAA Entry: Wolfe, Anna M. Lindsey
NKAA Source: Kentucky Library Association bulletin (periodical)
NKAA Source: Library service to African Americans in Kentucky, from the Reconstruction Era to the 1960s

Social Bookmarking

Cite This NKAA Entry:

“Frankfort Colored Library (Franklin County, KY),” Notable Kentucky African Americans Database, accessed December 15, 2018, http://nkaa.uky.edu/nkaa/items/show/2831.

Last modified: 2017-10-15 16:21:27