From NKAA, Notable Kentucky African Americans Database (main entry)
Russell County (KY) Slaves, Free Blacks, and Free Mulattoes, 1850-1870Russell County, located in south-central Kentucky, was formed in 1825 from portions of Adair, Cumberland, and Wayne Counties. Russell County is named for William Russell, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War, Indian wars, and the War of 1812. He also served in the Virginia and Kentucky Legislatures. The seat of Russell County is Jamestown, which was formerly named Jacksonville after Andrew Jackson. The town was renamed Jamestown in 1826, named for James Woodridge, who gave the land for the town location. The 1830 county population was 569 [heads of households] according to the U.S. Federal Census; the population increased to 5,425 by 1860, excluding the slaves. Below are the number of slave owners, slaves, free Blacks, and free Mulattoes for 1850-1870.
1850 Slave Schedule
- 53 slave owners
- 163 Black slaves
- 20 Mulatto slaves
- 9 free Blacks
- 4 free Mulattoes [two with the last name Brummet, one Dunkeson, one Garret]
- 134 slave owners
- 400 Black slaves
- 159 Mulatto slaves
- 8 free Blacks [most with last name Jackman and Rowe, one Epperson, one Faubus]
- 4 free Mulattoes [two Whittle, one Jackman, one Richards]
- 248 Blacks
- 38 Mulattoes
- About six U.S. Colored Troops listed Russell County, KY, as their birth location.