Citizen's Auxiliary Hospital (Louisville, KY)(start date: - end date: )
The Citizen's Auxiliary Hospital was built by the faculty of the Louisville National Medical College. The two story, brick, building cost $50,000, and was built on Green Street a few blocks from the college. The hospital was built to enhance the clinical training of those enrolled in the college, and was viewed as a benefit to the poor in need of medical attention and medication. All services were free and the hospital could treat up to 40 patients at one time. Mr. McCurdy was the hospital steward and Dr. Sarah H. Fitzbutler was the matron. The college closed in 1912 and the hospital closed in 1911, the hospital facility was used for the Simmons College Nursing Department. For more see the "Auxiliary Hospital" entry in Weeden's History of the Colored People of Louisville by H. C. Weeden; History of Higher Education in Kentucky by A. F. Lewis [available full view at Google Book Search]; and T. L. Savitt, "Four African-American proprietary medical colleges: 1888-1923," Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences, vol.55, July 2000, pp.203-255.