Wilson, Henry S.(born: 1902 - died: 1988)
Wilson, born in Louisville, KY, became the first African American faculty member at Bellarmine College [now Bellarmine University] in 1955, and, in 1957, the first full professor. He was a chemistry professor who had graduated from Indiana University and served as chair of the natural sciences department at Louisville Municipal College until the school was merged with the University of Louisville. Wilson worked for the Mammoth Life and Accident Insurance Company prior to joining Bellarmine, a Catholic college. He was the first retired faculty member in 1967. Bellarmine opened in 1950. For more see High Upon a Hill: a history of Bellarmine College, by W. Hall.