Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church (Lexington, KY)
The Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church was thought to have established the oldest African American congregation west of the Allegheny Mountains. Its history dates back to 1790 when Rev. Peter Duerett founded the African Baptist Church in Lexington. The name was changed to "Pleasant Green" in 1829. Today the church is located at 540 W. Maxwell Street in Lexington.
For more see the church history website; "A Short history of the Pleasant Green Baptist Church, Lexington" in Golden Jubilee of the General Association of Colored Baptists in Kentucky (1915), pp. 249-252: and Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church, a BlackPast webpage.